You are starting a new business, congratulations! Now that you know what you want to sell, whether it’s a product or a service, you need a business name. Deciding on your business name requires some thought and research. Take it from me, I’ve renamed my business three times in the last 10 years. The first time because I changed the focus of my business, but the second time because I just didn’t like the name. Hence, I should have put more time and research into it!
Naming your business really is the first brick you lay in building your business. It’s the foundation on which your entire business will rest. A few things to take into consideration while deciding on a name include:
1. Think about what your business objectives are or what describes your company.
2. Try to stand out in a crowd. Be memorable.
3. Do not use odd spellings. This makes it hard for a potential customer to find you online.
4. Don’t get so cute that people have no clue what you are talking about. Avoid puns that only you will understand. Check the list of business names at Funnynames.com and you will understand what I’m saying.
5. Avoid being a cliché. Words such as next level, precision, solutions, services, affordable, global, and enterprise are overused.
6. Avoid using a geographically based name. What if your business expands to other areas of town or even globally? Don’t burden yourself with a name that keeps you rooted to one place.
7. Be careful if you try to combine two names into one. It needs to make sense and be easy enough to spell so that people can find you online.
8. Don’t pick a name that is too long. This is important when registering your domain