After, perhaps, the most tumultuous, polarizing four – year period, in recent memory, ending in 2020, a year, which suffered from the impacts of this horrific, deadly pandemic, and one of the most contentious, divisive elections, ever, many looked forward, with a degree of optimism, and hope, with the election of a more – conventional individual, to hopefully, the restoration of some degree of what, we have always, considered, normal, in this country! If, the tone of the inauguration of President Joe Biden, Jr, and Vice President Kamala Harris, is any indication, our hopes, may be fulfilled. It seemed to obvious, both, the actual, as well as desired – tone, of this event, was UNITY, and bringing Americans together, regardless of their politics, seeking a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, making a point, of stating, he hoped to be President of all of us, rather than, only his supporters. What a refreshing change, that may be! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why this matters.
1. United; unify; urgent; useful: Wouldn’t it be, and feel, nice, if the new President, focused on putting, united, back in the United States? If Biden’s words, are any indication, he seeks to unify us, and prioritize, to address urgent challenges, in a focused, useful way, consistently! From the list of prospective Cabinet members, and advisers, he has, so – far, released, it seems obvious, these choices are well – qualified experts, and as – a – team, might be able to make a difference, for the better!
2. Needs; nice/ niceties: Many feel, we have suffered, through four years, of the administration, of an individual, who seemed to lack any degree of genuine empathy, nor, willing to accept personal responsibility, etc. A return, to a normal situation, requires an individual, ready, willing, and able, to utilize the niceties, which comfort us, and to prioritize, the actual needs, goals, priorities, and perceptions, of our citizens!
3. Integrity; ideals/ ideology; issues: Americans tend to listen, believe, and follow, an individual, with absolute integrity, and whose ideals, align, with the ideology, of this nation! We want issues, we prioritize, to be, those, our elected officials, address, first!
4. Time; timely; today/ tomorrow; together; truth/ trust: Especially, in terms of addressing the challenges, related to Climate Change, and environmental issues (including, protecting clean air and water, and open – spaces), there is little time, to waste! We need to proceed, immediately, with well – considered, timely action, in many areas, better planning, and a vision, which pays keen attention to both, today, and tomorrow! At the inauguration, this new President, emphasized, we must join together, for the common good! If, we believe in him, and feel, he tells the truth, hopefully, he will restore the trust, in government, and our leaders, which seems, to suffer, these past four years!
5. Yes; you; your: We seek someone, who says, yes, to our common needs, rather than his personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! Wouldn’t you feel better, and, be more optimistic, and willing to do your part, if the tone, was one of hope, and unity, rather than despair, and divisiveness?
If the inauguration, was an indicator, of things – to – come, our necessary, UNITY, may become a greater possibility! After all, we are supposed to be, the United States of America!